(CNN)A Long Island teen who received acceptance letters from all eight Ivy League schools has decided where she’ll attend college in the fall.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam is often sought out by journalists and industry heads for his insights and expertise related to the retail real estate industry. He has been referred to as a “retail thought leader” because of his forward-thinking ways, and his proficiency has helped globally-known companies with billion-dollar ventures. Throughout his career, he has worked in commercial real estate development across West Africa and in the United States, leading to the success of the companies he works with and improving the local economies in the communities he impacts.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam Comes from a Diverse Background
Mr. Ejekam’s story began in Lagos, Nigeria, where he was born and raised. He had big aspirations and wanted to help improve the lives of others, so he dedicated his early years to study. His dreams led him to apply to the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, a prestigious Ivy League institution that produces many of the world’s leaders in business. Even at an early age, Mr. Ejekam had an impeccable track record, and the school not only accepted him, but honored him with the Howard E. Mitchell Award for his dedication and achievements. He successfully completed the program, receiving a bachelor of science in economics, with a focus on finance.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam Began His Career in New York City
Initially, Michael Chu’di Ejekam worked as an investment banker on New York City’s famous Wall Street for the internationally-known firm Merrill Lynch, where he participated in $3 billion of initial public offerings (IPO), leveraged buyout (LBO) financings, and leverage loans. Following this, he took a position with a private real estate investment and development firm, with holdings in some $2 billion of real estate assets. During his time there, he led bidding for $750 million in assets and originated $350 million in development.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam Continued His Successful Track Record in Nigeria
Once he traveled back home to Nigeria, Mr. Ejekam played a key role in the “retail revolution.” As the Director of Real Estate for West Africa of Actis, the most active retail developer in sub-Saharan Africa, he took part in the development of many major retail malls in Nigeria, Ghana, and broader West Africa, as well as the first green certified building in all of Nigeria. Overall, he originated more than $750 million in retail projects, and his knowledge and background led to the success of countless ventures.
Today, Mr. Ejekam remains in Lagos, Nigeria, and is poised to continue developing and bolstering the local economy. As the retail climate in West Africa continues to change, his expertise and experience will no doubt prove invaluable. This site is slated to feature regular insights directly from Michael Chu’di Ejekam, as well as other valuable bits of information. If you’d like to hear more about his upcoming plans, get the latest industry news, and learn about retail and real estate trends, be sure to bookmark this page and check back often for updates.
Michael Ejekam – Career Highlights
For 7+ years Director Real Estate for W Africa for Actis, a $7.5bn private equity firm- most active retail developer in Sub-Saharan Africa (ex SA). Originated $700+m in retail projects. Retail projects include $100m Ikeja City Mall Lagos, $130m Jabi Lake Mall Abuja and Accra Mall. Other projects include Heritage Place, Nigeria’s first green certified commercial building. Originated three upcoming Nigeria malls ranging from $150-185m each totaling over 40,000m2 each, which would be largest in the region. Co-led exit of Ikeja City Mall.
- Proven track record of full cycle retail investment and development: site origination, equity investment, planning approvals, development management, tenant leasing, asset management and exit of the largest retail malls in Nigeria, Ghana, and broader W. Africa.
- Directed Actis’ W Africa retail strategy, research, rollout. Strong insight about retail challenges, success factors, demographic data.
- Leading role in the “retail revolution”, widely quoted retail thought leader, strong local business and government relationships.
- Prior experience includes a USA private real estate investment and development firm with interests in $2bn of real estate assets. Originated $350m development Trump SoHo, led bid for $750m asset.
- Previously Wall Street investment banker at Merrill lynch in NYC: participated in $3bn of acquisition/LBO financings, IPOs, leverage loans.
- Wall Street transaction experience includes $500m financing for telecom firm and $325m simultaneous High Yield Debt/IPO for oil & gas company. Other Wall Street experience includes $450m Crown American REIT, largest transaction of its type at the time.
Currently on board of Gruppo Nigeria Limited, owner of Ikeja City Mall (joint venture btw Hyprop a South African publicly listed REIT and Atterbury). Also on board of Afrinvest Securities, a broker dealer.